- get a regional center coordinator
- read about your insurance options
- read about your educational rights California/Advocacy
- determine if you are eligible for respite care through the regional center (the state may pay for babysitting), and apply for it.
- find out if there are is a county level book and media "library" for special education (Orange county has the "comfort connection", for example).
- attend as many support group meetings and training as you can
- if your child is between 2 and 3, find out if your county has an early learning program sponsored by the regional center (e.g., Orange County has the IntraAgency Assessment Center early learning programs).
- if your child is between 3 and 5, obtain an IEP from your school district, and get your child enrolled in special ed preschool.